Visitors

Blog Archive

Friday, January 8, 2016

Anecdote for D.D. Chapter 1 Page 3

  I first moved to Elkhart, Kansas living on my grandpa's farm. It was quite an oddity. There were wheat fields everywhere and they seemed to go on for like millions of miles it seemed like to no end. And I remember every day going outside to play and frolicking around enjoying the nature of Kansas. There isn't much to enjoy if you don't appreciate the finer things in life.

  Especially if you live on the west side of Kansas and the agricultural side of it is very dominant. Many fields growing various crops and dairy feeders with cow and pig farms. You might drive by windmill fields occasionally. But living on this farm I remember few memories here. I definitely remember finding a rattlesnake and my grandpa and father killed it.

  One morning I found a garden snake and then played in the warehouse where my grandpa kept his farming equipment. He never wanted me in there. I would get into a storage trailer quite often and being told not to get into it. Then there were those giant aluminum tubs made for cows to drink from and swam in it a couple of summers.

While I lived there was when I began attending preschool. The kids there didn't take much to liking me. I felt stupid and was treated as such. I remember a very privileged girl showing me how to write a two in this cake pan of sand made as a teaching aid. Then it was show-and-tell day and we were supposed to bring games to play with.

  There was this particular boy who for some reason I remember his name. His last name Diaz. He didn't want to share his operations game with me. He was afraid I was going to lose pieces of it. I know that one day the teacher made these tunnels made of cardboard boxes duct taped together and it came to point she had to throw it away because everyone wanted to play in it every day instead of learning or playing on the playground.

  Eventually, we moved to Ulysses, Kansas. Where I ended up growing up for most of my childhood. I didn't really like this town too much. There wasn't much to do and everything else was a good drive away to get to any decent stores. The people knew your business very quickly it didn't take very long for everyone to know what was going on.

  The history was very nice at first a very long time ago it was a great place. There were many jobs offered and many businesses open like the mom and pop type businesses. It was nice to meet one of the very few people that have lived there since Ulysses was made and their family lived there for generations. It is not like it use to be.

Many families of have moved away because their children have graduated high school are in college and have started their own families. It has been on the news once about the hispanic culture being very dominant there. When we first lived there we lived in town near the elementary school I was attending. I liked my primary teacher very much because she was very understanding of my situation and my educational setbacks and took her time with me and taught me quite a bit.

  The neighbors down the street we became good friends. He was in my grade and taught me how to ride my bike. We played after school quite often and became good friends. School days seemed like they went and came fairly quickly. I know we had always walked to school every morning. Breakfast was the usual we got in line and had cereal mostly every day and other options. The teachers took count to see who was absent from school we would sit in lines right behind the other in the gymnasium that would be converted into a cafeteria daily. The tables would fold into the wall and it would be like a normal gym again. My first day in elementary wasn't the greatest. I cried because I felt overwhelmed by the amount of people there and I wasn't accustomed to seeing that many and I definitely wasn't the social time so it was very tough day for me.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment