Making a recipe that calls for buttermilk? Use this simple substitute, and you won't need to buy any:
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- Milk (just under one cup)
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice
1. Place a Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup.
2. Add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line.
3. Let stand for five minute. Then, use as much as your recipe calls for.
Have heavy cream in the fridge? If so, you have everything you need to make real buttermilk: